My first project as a tech lead - and I've had to jump in right in the middle! An installation and a live event in Berlin, Germany, preceded by a few months of sitting in a dark container. Highlights include:
- Losing my ID, and my passport expiring, both right before the producer asked me to come over to the UK;
- Getting stopped by an undercover cop in the tube:
- Why are your eyes so big? Do you have any drugs on you?
- Sir, I've spent the last twelve hours in a pitch black shipping container, routing cables and staring at tiny letters on my laptop's screen. If you can lock me up, I'll be happy to have a break from that job.
- Building a queue system:
- Go grab some juice while you wait your turn (sorry, we can't let you in, if you had any alcohol...)
- My backend will send you a text when you're next!
- Building a completely automated camera & video post-proc system:
- Your every move inside the container is recorded (in 720p!), from the very moment you open the door.
- Done? The post-processing system cuts the recordings into pieces, stitches them together, adds effects and overlays.
- Finally, the clip is uploaded to Youtube, and you get another text/email - with the link.
I've also (probably completely unnecessarily) reinvented
make for the purpose of the video processing system, but it was a great learning experience - to know not to do that again...